Our expertise in all of these cooling technologies enables us to provide customized solutions for various battery types and sizes.
Air Cooling Solutions for Mild Hybrid Electric Vehicles (MHEV)
Air cooling is an economical and space-efficient solution to protect the battery module from overheating during charging or periods of high power demand.
Benefits of the Gentherm Air Cooling Solutions:
- Deliver customized cooling for MHEV with peak loads up to 15kW
- Cost effective solution for 12V/48V batteries and DC/DC Converters
- Several control interfaces offered: LIN, PWM, Voltage Control
- Direct pre-cooled or ambient air to required location
- Customize to meet routing and installation requirements
- Accommodate late program integration, with low complexity
- Enhanced system performance with longer lifetime and increased reliability
Thermoelectric Cooling and Heating for High Performance MHEVs
Thermoelectric battery thermal management is the ideal solution to cool and heat the temperature-sensitive 48V Li-ion batteries in high performance MHEVs. An integrated battery housing plate with specially-designed thermoelectric devices is connected to a low-temperature circuit. These rapid response devices dissipate generated heat quickly and efficiently to achieve effective battery cooling. Our versatile solutions also allow these same devices to warm the battery to put it in the range of optimal performance sooner.
Cooling Benefits of the Gentherm Thermoelectric BTM:
- Enhanced cooling for high performance mild hybrids with peak loads up to 25kW
- Reduced battery derating at operating temperatures over 50°C
- Integrates with air-based or ambient liquid-cooling loops
- Provides instantaneous cooling with Gentherm’s powerful TEDs
- Successful implementation and production since 2017
High Performance Cooling: Direct Evaporative Liquid Technology
In our continuing quest to deliver new and innovative thermal management solutions for the electric mobility market, Gentherm invested in the Israel-based technology firm Carrar.
This progressive partnership has enabled us to offer direct evaporative liquid technology: a disruptive new high-performance cooling solution for automotive battery systems. Inside the battery, a dielectric fluid dissipates heat by boiling as soon as a single cell heats up.
Whether caused by rapid charging, external temperature influences or progressive battery aging, this self-regulating system adjusts to dissipate heat according to the amount generated by the battery: the higher the load, the more liquid is evaporated on the patented layers between each cell.
Benefits of the Gentherm Direct Evaporative Liquid Technology:
- Up to one hour delay of thermal runaway
- Significant savings in total cost of ownership
- Super-fast charging possible
- Perfect for extreme accelerations